Saturday, March 6, 2010
Steady Progress
Nothing terribly new and exciting to post today... I was able to pick out her front hooves for the first time two days ago which was very neat. All of our ground games are going pretty well with the exception of circling. She either wants to walk slowly half a lap and check in or wants to zoom off. Not sure if it's just excess energy or her RBE characteristics coming through when she gets to moving her feet she can't manage her emotions at the same time. I've been working really hard on replacing her panic reaction with a more appropriate response. My mantra I'm trying to convey to her is "when you get scared the only right answer is to stop moving your feet and look/check in with me. if you want to move your feet because you're afraid and on adrenaline, that's ok. I will help you, but I will make it more difficult than you want it to be. when you decide it's too much work to be afraid look at me and I will help you feel safe." She's still reactive but is coming around quicker to that idea. She's really starting to lick and chew a lot more and she checks in constantly. We played the Stick To Me game and that was a really hard exercise for her. She was nervous about the stick and string dragging on the ground next to her and fractious/panicky when I tapped her with it to catch up and over did it when I asked her to back up with me as well. By the end of it she took a huge sigh and relaxed, but wow this horse feels a lot of pressure. Pressure I didn't even know I was putting on her... She's really making me work on me. I am hoping to figure out a way to take a few lessons with her so I can ensure that I am doing the best possible things for her education and our relationship.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment