Thursday, April 29, 2010

Spy's Vet Appointment

Aspire had her first vet appointment today with Dr. Layne Carlson (who is awesome!!). He came out to check on her cuts and swelling and to administer her first round of vaccines. She did wonderful with the little preparation I tried to do with her to get her ready to be stuck with a needle and get an intranasal dose of the strangles vaccine. Layne also said her cuts looked great, no infection, and the flap of skin was beginning to reattach itself! Yay!

I'd been washing it with an iodine-water solution and applying Dynamite Wound Salve the first couple days to keep everything clean and moist. Two days ago I switched to washing it off with plain cold water and then applying Vetericyn to the wounds which looks like it's working great. It's less oozy and seems to be healing up around the edges pretty well. A few more days of that while it's raw and open and then I think I'll go back to the Dynamite and apply some Wound Balm on it. I'm also giving her Dyna-Pro (probiotic) and Super Stress to help her immune system handle the vaccine and the stress of healing. She's such a good pony - as soon as the weather isn't windy and absolutely terrible I can't wait to spend some time just sitting with her and enjoying her and not just out there to rush and doctor her before I freeze my fingers off.

I did play a bit with her yesterday and she hasn't lost a thing! Backed by her tail, sidepassed, and did two laps on a circle nice, soft, and at a walk! :)

I'll get some pictures up here of her legs in the next day or two - they're looking great. I'm just SO thankful it wasn't worse and she fared as well as she did! Layne said the same thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment