Things are going well with Aspire so far. I haven't 'clicked' with her yet, we get along well, but it seems to still be too early to develop a connection with her. After spending some time with her I've been able to decipher her Horseanality a little better and have put her as a mild-moderate RBE with LB tendencies...haven't really been able to determine where on the LB chart she is. It's easy to cause her to be un-confident and in that scenario she turns RBE, runs around, and definitely needs a pattern interrupt otherwise she'll escalate into a circling, running ball of nerves. However, she greets me at the gate every day, she follows me around, she likes to sniff and mouth, she will snort and look at new things with those cock-eyed sideways ears, but has an urge to follow and investigate regardless. She seems to have a lot of thresholds but a lot of underlying curiosity as well. I'm still trying to learn how to decide a horse's innate characteristics vs. learned ones and how their Horseanalities change as a learner, in their environment, with people, etc. I've never really had an RBE type horse before, Mocha (my TB gelding/levels horse pre-injury) was definitely LBE and "the Pony" (my pinto gelding) tended to be LBI-mild, but in a new environment turned RBI...soooo to say the least Aspire has really been exercising me emotionally, and making me conscientious of not being direct-line and so busy. Have to work on consistency - not variety...
The Horseanalities seem so easy when you read about them on paper or watch the DVDs but then going home and reading it, understanding it, and feeling it is such a different story. I've been watching the SC DVD about the 4 Horseanality types with Pat that came out last Spring sometime I think and am really trying to study the RB horses and see the subtleties that make them who they are...the tense muscles, the quick breathing, the in and out process of introversion. Wow - it's so much to process. I just hope I can figure it out and apply it so as not to ruin my relationship with Spy...
No comments:
Post a Comment